Page Banner
Section Divider

Home > Transient Room Tax


How to Register a Transient Lodging Facility:

Step 1: Make sure your business has a City of Canby Business License. For additional information on this process click on the Business License Registration link below.

Step 2. Download the Transient Lodging Tax Registration form. Complete each section, sign, date and send to: City of Canby PO Box 930, Canby, OR 97013.

Note, incomplete forms will be returned and will delay processing your registration. Once received, your registration will be processed and you will receive your Registration Certificate in the mail within ten (10) business days.


Business License Registration
Transient Room Tax Registration form
Quarterly Transient Room Tax Report form

Filing Due Dates:

Reporting Quarter  Filing and payment due by
January 1 - March 31     April 15
April 1 - June 30   July 15
July 1 - September 30    October 15
October 1 - December 31     January 15

Penalties and interest:

Original delinquency: Any operator who fails to remit any tax imposed shall pay a penalty of ten percent (10%) of the amount of tax due in addition to the amount of the tax.

Continued delinquency: Any operator who has not been granted an extension of time for remittance of tax due and who failed to pay any delinquent remittance on or before a period of thirty (30) days following the date on which the remittance first became delinquent, shall pay a second delinquency penalty of fifteen percent (15%) of the amount of the tax due, plus the amount of the tax due and the ten percent (10%) penalty first imposed.  

Interest: In addition to the penalties imposed, any operator who fails to remit any tax imposed by this chapter shall pay interest at the rate of one-half of one percent (.5%) per month or fraction of a month on the amount of the tax due, exclusive of penalties, for the date on which the remittance first became delinquent until paid.   

Remittance Address:     Contact for Filing and Payment Information:
City of Canby         Phone: 503-266-4021
PO Box 930   Email:
Canby, OR 97013    

How do I report and pay the taxes I have collected?

Each registered operator must complete and sign the Quarterly Transient Room Tax report. Reporting and payment must be postmarked on or before the 15th of the month following each calendar quarter end, for the preceding quarter’s taxes. Reporting and payment can be mailed to: City of Canby PO Box 930, Canby, OR 97013.

Please include your Registration Certificate Number and quarter you are remitting for on your check. NOTE: Canby’s lodging tax is in addition to and separate from that of Clackamas County and the State of Oregon.

I have no gross cash receipts to report, what do I do?

To remain in compliance with the Transient Room Tax Ordinance 3.50 you are still required to file a report showing zero gross receipts.

When is payment considered delinquent?

Payment is delinquent if not postmarked by the 15th day of the month following the quarter in which the tax was collected.

Can I remit the tax electronically?

Currently, the city of Canby does not have an option for electronic payment. Credit card payments can be taken over the phone or in person at City Hall.

My transient lodging is registered, but my contact information has changed. How do I update this?

You can provide the new information on the Quarterly Report or contact the City directly at Please include your Certificate Registration number on all communications.

I am no longer providing transient lodging or have sold my property, what do I need to do?

You can send a letter including the business name and address, lodging name and address and date of closure. Your Certificate of Authority must be surrendered immediately upon cessation of your business. Payment and/or reporting for your final months collections are due immediately. Additionally, your account must be current. Any outstanding balances must be paid in full.

Last update: June 27, 2018