Page Banner
Section Divider


City Services

City Election Information (503-266-0733)

Fire Safety

Canby Fire District #62
221 S Pine St
Emergency 9-1-1
Business Phone 503-266-5851

The Canby Fire District is a special service district that provides traditional Fire, Rescue, and Prevention services to the Cities of Canby and Barlow as well as the rural areas around those cities.

Canby Fire is also the Ambulance service provider for our service area, providing emergency advanced life support transport to our Citizens. Over 30,000 people live within the 54 square miles that the Fire District serves. Currently the Fire District has 50 members who consist of 18 Career, 30 Volunteer, and 2 Administrative personnel.

For more information go to:


DirectLink (formerly Canby Telcom)
190 SE 2nd Avenue
Hours: Mon. - Fri. 8am - 6pm, Sat. 8am - Noon

Services: Business and residential phone service including calling features. New Customers must visit the office in person to set up telephone service.


DirectLink (formerly Canby Telcom)
190 SE 2nd Avenue
Hours: Mon. - Fri. 8am - 6pm, Sat. 8am - Noon

Wave Broadband 
353 NW 2nd Avenue

Billing Questions: 1-888-222-5314

Provides cable television, internet service, voice mail, pagers, business system, residential and business alarms and fire protection.


Canby Utility 
1265 SE 3rd Ave, Canby 97013

Water and electrical service is provided by Canby Utility, an independent City owned utility. This enables the power rates to be well below the surrounding area.

Water: Canby's water source is the Molalla River, with the water being filtered and treated before pumping to residents.

Residential Electrical Conservation Programs:
Energy Audits at no cost to CUB customers

Residential Weatherization Rebates
Technical Assistance and Information
Post Installation Inspection
  Water Heater Rebates (rebate for replacement of heaters meeting State of Oregon rebate standards)
  Heat Pump Program (rebate for replacement or new installation of heat pump)
  Levelized Payment Plan This allows a fixed payment each month based on your previous years' utility bills.
  Commercial Audits are also available for a fee with partial rebates. Call the CUB business office for details.
Garbage Pickup
Canby Disposal Company 
1600 SE 4th Avenue, Canby 97013

Serves Canby and the surrounding areas with garbage, recycling and garden debris pick up for residential and commercial properties. Cans should be placed on the curb for pick up.

Canby Adult Center

1250 S. Ivy Street, 97013

The Adult Center is a multipurpose facility. Its primary purpose is to enhance the quality of life for senior citizens in the Canby Area by providing social, recreational and educational services. The center's meal program serves nutritious hot meals four days a week at noon. Meals-on-Wheels are provided to persons homebound due to illness or disability. Contact the center for eligibility.

Municipal Code
The following are guidelines only. For exact complete text Canby Municipal codes  or contact Planning and Building at 503-266-9404 or Code Enforcement at 503- 266-0797.
  Most city lots have utility easements on the lot parameters for underground utilities. Before you dig, know where and what is in the easement. Building permanent structures in an easement is not permitted, but the surface can be used for walkways, fences, driveways, planting and related purposes. Before You Dig Call 1-800-332-2344 for a locate.
  Street trees are those trees, bushes or shrubs that lie within a dedicated right of way or utility easement
  No person shall remove or plant trees in public places (this includes street trees) without first obtaining written permission.
  Maintenance of street trees is the responsibility of the owners abutting the dedicated rights-of-way or utility easements where the trees are located. The city can plant, prune and remove street trees as may be necessary to insure safety or beautify the area.
  Vision clearance
  A triangular area at the intersection of two streets measured from the corner 30' in each direction and connected to form a triangle. No plants, structures or obstruction shall be located within a vision clearance area, extending from 2 feet to 10 feet above the curb, except for one tree trunk.
  Shrubs or fences within 30 feet of a corner shall not be higher than 30" above the curb.
  For additional details call City Hall or the Planning Department.
  Building permits are not required for fences up to 6 feet high. Maximum fence height within 20 feet of the street property line is 3'6". Maximum planting and fence height, above the curb, is 2'6" within 30 feet of street corners (for vision clearance).
  It is the duty of the land owner to maintain in good repair all sidewalks in front of, along, and abutting their land. A permit from Public Works is required before sidewalk repairs can be made.
  Detached Accessory Structures
  Utility sheds of less than 200 sq. ft. and less than 10 feet in height do not require a building permit.
  If the structure is within 60 feet of the street it requires the same set back as for a residence
  If the structure is at least 60 feet from the street property line, a 3' foot setback is allowed.
  High grass abatement
  It is the responsibility of the property owner to cut down or destroy weeds or other noxious vegetation as often as needed in order to prevent the vegetation from becoming unsightly, becoming a fire hazard or going to seed.
  Open burning regulations
  Open burning is not permitted within the city without a special permit from the Canby Fire District.
  It is unlawful to burn any wet garbage or substance which creates foul or obnoxious odors, i.e., grass or leaves.
  Daily Burn Message can be heard by dialing 503-266-1195
  Vehicle storage on private property or street
  Inoperable, dismantled or abandoned vehicles of any kind cannot be stored on private property longer than 15 days within a 12-month period, unless in an enclosed building. No vehicle is permitted on city streets for longer than 24 hours.
  Noise Control
  No person shall make or cause to be made any excessive unnecessary sounds between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m.
  No person shall cause or permit sounds to intrude onto the property of another person. See chapter 9.48 of the Municipal Code on Noise control.
  Business License
  A business license is required to do business directly or indirectly inside Canby. A business is defined as;
  1. Selling any goods or services.
  2. Soliciting business or offering goods or services for sale or hire.
  3. Use of any vehicle or premises in the city for business purposes
  Garage sales are not subject to licenses unless it operates for more than 14 days a year.
  Home-based Business can be conducted in a home with the provision that there are no more than one employee, the residential character of the building is maintained, activity occupies less than one-quarter of the ground floor and that no outward appearance infringes upon the rights of neighboring residents. No signs are permitted except for a 1 square foot unilluminated name plate within the interior or in a window. Home based businesses require a city business license.
  Temporary signs (political, campaign, real estate, or signs advertising social events, garage sales, rental vacancy or farm products) are permitted in residential zones. The sign must not exceed eight square feet and must be removed within 48 hours after the event. These are not allowed in county or state right of way.
  Directional signs are not allowed. Open house directional signs are allowed off site during certain hours and days. Check with Code Enforcement
  For business signs consult Municipal code 16.42.

All emergency assistance alarms shall obtain an alarm user permit (whether for residential or business locations). Alarm applications not received by the police department within 15 days of installation or expiration of a prior permit will be subject to a $25.00 delinquency charge. For application and additional information:

  Alarm permit fee for business or residence $20  
  Alarm permit fee for 65 or older (no business conducted in residence) No Charge  
  Late fee for renewing alarm permit $25 each occurrence  
  False Alarms:  First 2 (two) in permit year No fine  
  Third False Alarm $50  
  Fourth False Alarm $75  
  Fifth False Alarm and up $100 each occurrence  
  Dog and Animal Control
  Only domestic pets and animals with special permits are allowed in the city.
  Animals are not permitted to run at large.
  All dogs must be inoculated against rabies.
  All dogs 6 months and older must be licensed. Licenses can be obtained from Clackamas County Dog Control (503) 655-8628 or your veterinarian.

Last update: January 16, 2020

Weekly Updates Urban Renewal Transit (CAT) Swim Center Public Library Municipal Code Links Departments City Services City Government Cemetery Boards & Committees City of Canby Home Welcome to Canby, Oregon Welcome to Canby, Oregon